NorthCountryWildcareThe APF cannot take in wildlife; however, you may call us at (518) 374-3944, ext. 101 for information and contact numbers for wildlife organizations and rehabilitators. You may also call the North Country Wild Care hotline at (518) 964-6740 or visit their website for more information on what to do if you encounter a wild animal in crisis.

North Country Wild Care Website

Care of Young Wildlife

You’ve found a baby bird on the ground. What do you do? This guide by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation offers specific advice on what is normal wildlife behavior and what circumstances requires intervention.

If you care, leave them there!

Deceased Stray or Wild Animals

If you have found a deceased stray animal, contact your city or town hall for removal. If you have found deceased wildlife, you may also want to contact your local health department. In Schenectady County, call (518) 386-2818.

Wildlife Rehabilitators and Other Resources

If you have found an injured wild animal you may choose to contact a DEC licensed wildlife rehabilitator. A list of rehabilitators is available here. In addition to these resources, you may also contact The Animal Hospital in Slingerlands or The Village Animal Clinic in Voorheesville for assistance.

Visit for assistance with wildlife emergencies throughout the United States.