- Category: Make a Donation
You can drop off items to the APF any time we are open.
A Word About Pet Food
We purchase all of our DRY cat and dog food at a greatly reduced price through Hills Science Diet’s Shelter Feeding Program. However, we still need and appreciate donations of canned food, especially for cats. In addition, if you would like to donate pet food to someone in need, we collect all types of cat and dog food (new, unopened containers only) and cat litter for the Schenectady Inner City Ministry (SICM) Food Pantry program. You can either drop off donations here at the shelter or at the Food Pantry, located at 839 Albany Street in Schenectady.
Shop for the pets without leaving home! Find great pricing and
covenient online ordering on supplies needed for both
the shelter and our spay/neuter clinic at:
To access Walmart Gift Registry:
Under first name, type: Animal
Under last name, type: Protective
Under state, choose: New York
Under date, choose: June 2013
Every dog deserves a comfortable place to sleep while waiting to be adopted. And one of the best things we can do for our kitties is provide them with a place to hide. These Kuranda Cat Beds make a great perch or, if covered, a place to allow shy kitties to have some control over their environment.
You can help by donating a Kuranda Dog or Cat Bed.
A Great Way to Treat Our Kitties!
Our kitties love these Stretch and Scratch scratching posts. They attach easily to the cages for exercise and scratching. You may order them online via the link above and have them shipped directly to the APF at 53 Maple Avenue, Scotia, NY 12302.
50 scratchers - $59.95 + $5.95 shipping -
25 scratchers - $39.95 + $5.95 shipping
12 scratchers - $29.95 + $4.95 shipping
6 scratchers - $15.95 + $4.95 shipping
APF Shelter Wish List
Especially For Cats:
- Canned cat food (pate or ground preferred)
- Clay (non-scoopable) cat litter
- KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) - the orphan litters of kittens just keep coming. We can actually buy this cheaper in bulk, so a monetary donation especially for KMR would be most useful for the kitties.
- Soft, comfy cat mats and small washable beds for our kitties. Even donations of fleece fabric to be made into beds would help. If you would like to make some mats, download instructions here.
- Feliway spray and diffusers
- Perpetual motion devices and mobiles for kitty entertainment
- CD player and rainforest/nature or classical CDs for the cat room
Especially For Dogs:
- Canned dog food - ground preferred
- NEW dog collars and strong clip-on leashes – all sizes
- Galileo or Dino bones (Nylabone) in souper (largest) size
- Kong rubber dog toys - largest sizes, black extreme or red classic
- Bil-jacs liver treats, the only treats we feed our dogs
Especially For Our Small Animals:
- Small animal food, treats and toys (for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.)
- Aspen or pine shavings (no cedar, please)
- Timothy hay
For Children's Humane Education Programs:
- NEW dog or cat Beanie Babies (or other small stuffed dogs and cats) for children's "adoption" activities.
- NEW children's items to use as prizes for children, such as games, puzzles, art and craft kits, gift certificates for ice cream, trinkets such as key chains, notepads, stickers, cute pencils, etc. Hello Kitty or any other animal-themed goodies.
Items We Always Need:
- Liquid laundry detergent (uncented preferred)
- Clear plastic bins - any size
- Paper goods: tissues, bathroom tissue and especially paper towels
- Card stock and copy paper, assorted colors
- Forever postage stamps
- Office Supplies: Post-it notes, scotch tape, duct tape, memo pads, clip board, staplers, pens, etc.
- Dish soap, bathroom cleaner, Windex, bleach
- Clear cellophane wrap for gift baskets
- Gift Cards through Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc. - the easiest way to make sure the animals get exactly what they need! These can be found online and at larger grocery stores.
- Bottles and cans - drop off in our "little red schoolhouse" in the parking lot anytime
- Empty ink and toner cartridges
We can get cash for your empty cartridges of any type.
- Gold and silver jewelry, coins, etc. for melt. We are not accepting costume jewelry at this time.
Gift Cards: Another Great Way to Help
- Price Chopper / Hannaford
- Michael’s Crafts / JoAnne’s Fabrics
- Office Max / Staples
- Gas cards
- Restaurants, book store, mall gift cards, etc. to use in raffle baskets and for events
Items We are NOT Able to Use:
- No pillows
- No comforters / sleeping bags
- No sheets
- No rugs and bathmats
- No blankets or used pet beds
- No stuffed animals or used pet toys or scratching posts
- No items that can’t fit into an regular size washing machine or that can’t be disinfected
- No used plastic litter pans, dishes or heavily used or broken carriers, cages, kennels, etc.
- We are unable to use opened bags or expired food.
- No newspapers
If you have non-food items to donate that we are unable to use, please consider contacting the Salvation Army or City Mission.
APF Community Spay/Neuter Clinic Wish List
Paper towels, bathroom tissue
Clay cat litter
Liquid laundry detergent (preferably unscented)
Pump bottle hand soap
Humane traps for feral cats (Havahart)
New men’s white tube socks and bags of white rice (to make recovery room warming socks)
Small scrub brushes
Trash bags (33 gallon or tall kitchen)
Gift Cards: Walmart , Staples, PetSmart, BJs
Please call us with any questions about donations.
Shop for Yourself and Help the Animals!
This site offers an amazing array of all things pet lovers will love ... from pet supplies to gift items to products that raise awareness about animals. All you have to do is shop and designate the Animal Protective Foundation as your organization of choice and we will receive 15% of all net sales. Start shopping at Shop for Shelters.
Thank you for thinking of the animals!