- Category: Make a Donation
You can drop off items to the APF any time we are open.
A Word About Pet Food
We purchase all of our DRY cat and dog food at a greatly reduced price through Hills Science Diet’s Shelter Feeding Program. However, we still need and appreciate donations of canned food, especially for cats. In addition, if you would like to donate pet food to someone in need, we collect all types of cat and dog food (new, unopened containers only) and cat litter for the Schenectady Inner City Ministry (SICM) Food Pantry program. You can either drop off donations here at the shelter or at the Food Pantry, located at 839 Albany Street in Schenectady.
Find great pricing and covenient online ordering on toys and other pet supplies
via our Amazon.com gift registry.
Every dog deserves a comfortable place to sleep while waiting to be adopted.
You can help by donating a Kuranda Dog Bed.
A Great Way to Treat Our Kitties!
Our kitties love these Stretch and Scratch scratching posts. They attach easily to the cages for exercise and scratching. You may order them online via the link above and have them shipped directly to the APF at 53 Maple Avenue, Scotia, NY 12302.
$75 - 1 case 50 scratchers
$45 - 1/2 case 25 scratchers
$25 - 12 scratchers
APF WISH LIST
Especially For Cats:
- Canned cat food (pate or ground preferred).
- Clay (non-scoopable) cat litter.
- KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) - the orphan litters of kittens just keep coming. We can actually buy this cheaper in bulk, so a monetary donation especially for KMR would be most useful for the kitties.
- Soft, comfy cat mats and small washable beds for our kitties. Even donations of fleece fabric to be made into beds would help. If you would like to make some mats, download instructions here.
- Feliway spray and diffusers.
- Perpetual motion devices and mobiles for kitty entertainment.
- CD player and rainforest/nature or classical CDs for the cat room.
Especially For Dogs:
- Canned dog food - ground preferred.
- NEW dog collars and strong clip-on leashes – all sizes.
- Galileo or Dino bones (Nylabone) in souper (largest) size.
- Kong rubber dog toys - largest sizes, black extreme or red classic.
- Bil-jacs liver treats, the only treats we feed our dogs.
Especially For Our Small Animals:
- Small animal food, treats and toys (for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.)
- Aspen or pine shavings (no cedar, please)
- Timothy hay
For Children's Humane Education Programs:
- NEW dog or cat Beanie Babies (or other small stuffed dogs and cats) for children's "adoption" activities.
- NEW children's items to use as prizes for children, such as games, puzzles, art and craft kits, gift certificates for ice cream, trinkets such as key chains, notepads, stickers, cute pencils, etc. Hello Kitty or any other animal-themed goodies.
Items We Always Need:
- Liquid laundry detergent.
- Clear plastic bins - any size.
- Paper goods: tissues, bathroom tissue and especially paper towels.
- Card stock and copy paper, assorted colors.
- Forever postage stamps.
- Office Supplies: Post-it notes, scotch tape, duct tape, memo pads, clip board, staplers, pens, etc.
- Dish soap, bathroom cleaner, Windex, bleach.
- Clear cellophane wrap for gift baskets
- Gift Cards through Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc. - the easiest way to make sure the animals get exactly what they need! These can be found online and at larger grocery stores.
- Cash donations really help the most!
- Bottles and cans - drop off in our "little red schoolhouse" in the parking lot anytime.
- Empty ink and toner cartridges.
We can get cash for your empty cartridges of any type.
- Gold and silver jewelry, coins, etc. for melt
Gift Cards: Another Great Way to Help
- Price Chopper / Hannaford
- Michael’s Crafts / JoAnne’s Fabrics
- Office Max / Staples
- Gas cards
- Restaurants, book store, mall gift cards, etc. to use in raffle baskets and for events
Items We are NOT Able to Use:
- No pillows
- No comforters / sleeping bags
- No sheets
- No rugs and bathmats
- No blankets or used pet beds
- No stuffed animals or used pet toys or scratching posts
- No items that can’t fit into an regular size washing machine or that can’t be disinfected
- No used plastic litter pans, dishes or heavily used or broken carriers, cages, kennels, etc.
- We are unable to use opened bags or expired food.
- No newspapers
If you have non-food items to donate that we are unable to use, please consider contacting the Salvation Army or City Mission.
Please call us with any questions about donations.
Kim Jess: 374-3944 ext. 119 JLIB_HTML_CLOAKING
Thank you for thinking of the animals!